John M. Sedor
John M. Sedor
Member / Owner
During his 20+ years of practicing law, John has had the pleasure of representing multi-national corporations in complex litigation as well as individuals with personal concerns. To each, he brings his unique enthusiasm with the constant aim of using the law and a measure of common sense to help his clients achieve their goals.
John's practice focuses on education and labor/employment law. John serves as general counsel to over 1/3 of the school districts in Alaska. In this capacity, he actively participates in strategic decision making, negotiations and all manner of employee issues, constitutional and statutory student and community issues, as well as business, funding, and construction issues. John represents numerous businesses, large and small, with their labor and employment needs including the defense of all types of employment claims, arbitration, collective bargaining, and general employment counseling.
John also serves as an election judge for corporate elections and has served as outside counsel to the Division of Elections and Independent Counsel to the State Personnel Board. He is active in the Alaska Soccer Community as well as a chauffeur for his 3 kids and their friends. In his spare time, John enjoys kayaking, fine wines, biking, chasing his kids up and down mountains throughout Alaska and doing his own small part to keep in check the population of fish, wild game, and migratory water fowl in this great State.
- Kalamazoo College, B.A. with Honors in Economics and Political Science, 1984
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., with Honors, 1987
- Alaska; United States District Court for the District of Alaska; United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
Awards, Experience and Activities
- Best Lawyers in America, Employment, 2010 until present
- John regularly presents on topics of interest to the Alaska Society of Human Resource Management (ASHRM), the Alaska Association of School Business Officials (ALASBO) and the Association of Alaska School Boards (AASB)
- Anchorage Sportsplex Inc. (The Dome), Member, Board of Directors (past)
- Alaska Bar Association, Member, Section of Labor and Employment